Attorney-General and Minister for Justice and Minister for Training and Skills
The Honourable Yvette D’Ath
Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Queenslanders urged to apply for funding to help job-seekers
The Palaszczuk Government is calling on community organisations to apply for the next round of funding that will help job-seekers get the training they need to get employed, under the Skilling Queenslanders for Work initiative.
While visiting Redcliffe Area Youth Space (RAYS) today, which received $489,300 in the latest round to recruit 28 young job-seekers, Minister for Training and Skills Yvette D’Ath announced applications were now open for the next round.
“I’m delighted to announce that we are now taking applications for projects that will get underway in the 2017-18 financial year to help put job-seekers on a career pathway,” Mrs D’Ath said.
“Under the Skilling Queenslanders for Work initiative, community based not-for-profit organisations can apply for funding to run projects that help train unemployed or underemployed people in their community, and assists them in seeking long-term and secure employment.
“The projects focus on the needs of the local community and build on the skills of young people, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, people with a disability, mature-age job-seekers, women re-entering the workforce and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.”
Mrs D’Ath said under the latest round of funding, which was announced earlier this month, Redcliffe Area Youth Space will be able to recruit another 28 young job seekers to its Building Blocks project after securing further Queensland Government funding.
“RAYS were successful in this latest $33.8 million funding round and will recruit eligible young people to study a Certificate I in Business while organising community activities,” Mrs D’Ath said.
“The 28 young job-seekers will be able to be trained while undertaking paid work on projects that benefits the wider community.
“Last month I was delighted to attend the graduation for 15 young people who completed the previous Building Blocks project and it was inspiring to learn about the progress they had made and the benefits the project had delivered for them and for the wider community.”
RAYS Manager Amy Mayes said the staff were looking forward to recruiting more clients into Building Blocks.
“A real feature of the project is being able to work closely with each participant and assisting them to address and improve any issues that are limiting their options,” Ms Mayes said.
“Finding and settling into a stable job can be a challenge for young people who don’t have the qualifications, skills, experience or job readiness that employers look for.
“Through the Building Blocks project participants can work on each of those things, which develops their confidence and motivation to keep working towards their goals.”
Skilling Queenslanders for Work funds skills development, training and job opportunities for unemployed, disengaged or disadvantaged Queenslanders through a suite of targeted skills and training programs.
More than 13,633 Queenslanders have taken part in the program since it was reinstated by the Palaszczuk Government.
Community organisations, local councils and school parents and friends’ or parents and citizens’ associations are encouraged to visit www.training.qld.gov.au to check what support each program funds along with the eligibility and assessment criteria.
Applications will close on Thursday 6 April.
For further information visit www.training.qld.gov.au/sqw or call 1300 369 935.